Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Define "Dollop"

Right this minute, I have a meatloaf in the oven.  It was mixed up according to directions from Grandma Lois.

Grandma Lois
She is an amazing meatloaf chef.  In fact, it may be my favorite meal she makes.  Forget her Thanksgiving turkey or the epic mushroom feast she lays on us in the spring.  Her meatloaf is legendary.  And, she told me how to make it the last time I had it at her house.  I have since made it a couple of times.  It is nowhere near her version.  That is because she really has no idea how she makes it.  No she is neither senile nor in the grips of Alzheimer's.  She cooks in the "dollop" method.

What in the name of Mel Brooks is a dollop you ask?

Well, that depends on the recipe...

I called her once to verify and clarify how to make apple salad dressing and to get the proper ingredients and amounts. It went something like this.

Karen:  "Hey, Grandma!  I am trying to make apple salad.  What the heck goes in the dressing besides peanut butter and Miracle Whip?"

Grandma:  "Sugar and sometimes a little milk."

Karen:  "Ok, I have the sugar in it, but it looks weird.  How much of each should I use?"

Grandma:   "Oh, a dollop of Miracle Whip and a dollop of peanut butter."

Karen:  "Oh, ok.  So...equal amounts?"

Grandma:  "Oh, no!"

Karen:  "Ok, so how much?"

Grandma:  "No more than a tablespoon or so of peanut butter and about a half cup or more of Miracle Whip."

You can see where the confusion comes in. 

The apple salad dressing was a bit wonky-looking, but it tasted fine. 

The meatloaf I baked was edible and quite tasty, yet I can't seem to get anywhere near her meatloaf.  I must make the trip to rural Avon and study the technique.  Not that it will help.  I swear she knows magic or spells or has a secret ingredient she slips in when no one is looking.  I suppose it could be the 70 plus years of experience she has.  My paltry 20 years of cooking experience pales against her skill.

And don't get me started on her coleslaw.  Epic, I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment