Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Farm Life (1 of many)

Growing up on a farm provides ample opportunity for strange experiences. 

I have helped butcher chickens.  I chased them down after they stopped flopping.
I have helped sort and move cattle.  They stop if you scream in terror, but then they start running again.
I remember one time, my dad dangled me by my ankles over a culvert to see if it was blocked.  Good times.
I have baled hay.  It is amongst the dirtiest most uncomfortable hard work one can do.
I have bottle-fed baby sheep, baby cows, and baby kittens.  This isn't as fun as it sounds.
I have been bucked off a horse.  Cricket was its name.
I have killed a snake with a hoe.  Nightmares.
I can bait my own hook and take my own fish off a hook.  Cleaning them is another story.
I have caught frogs bare-handed.  They are quite slimy.
I know how to pick up a psychotic kitten without injury.  By the scruff of the neck.
I also know how to pick up a kitten and nearly lose a hand.  While kitten is distracted by a threatening dog.
I know what it feels like to be shocked by an electric fence.  It hurts and I scream.
I have broken an amniotic sac to let the calf inside breath its first breath.  It was the most disgusting thing I have ever had on my hand.
I have "preg-checked" a heifer.  Glove to the shoulder.

These are just a few of the wonderful experiences that one can have growing up on a farm.  Ask me about any of them.  I have more details on almost all of them.  Maybe I will even write about them in more detail, but you get the general idea of the craziness that is everyday farm life.

No comments:

Post a Comment